Saturday, January 11, 2020

How I Discovered Essential Oils

I guess I'm really late to the essential oil boom - I bought a few from a friend who had a party by one of the major MLM distributors a few years ago, but WOW they were expensive! I spent nearly $100 on four tiny little bottles of oil!! I never bothered to learn much about them because of the expense, and used those to scent my studio when I was painting. I put them in a wax warmer, and when they ran out, I never bothered to repurchase.  Add to that the fact that my husband hates the scents, even of room fresheners, so that was a pretty easy decision to make.

Then, a little over a year ago I decided to take a yoga class after work. Some of the benefits:
  1. increased flexibility.
  2. increased muscle strength and tone.
  3. improved respiration, energy and vitality.
  4. maintaining a balanced metabolism.
  5. weight reduction.
  6. cardio and circulatory health.
  7. improved athletic performance.
  8. protection from injury.
I really enjoyed the class, and during the final pose of deep restoration: Corpse Pose, also sometimes called Final Relaxation Pose, the instructor would "anoint" each person with a blend of essential oils. I loved the scent! It's called Peace & Harmony, and I found it online. It's a synergy (blend) of Peppermint Oil, Patchouli Oil, Orange Oil, Lavender Oil and Basil Oil by NOW essential oils. It was the patchouli that sold me - I LOVE the scent of patchouli oil. (I am a child of the '60s)

At the same time, I also purchased a synergy called Peaceful Sleep (also by NOW) because I was having so much trouble staying asleep. I didn't have trouble falling asleep, just staying asleep. It had been several years since I'd had a really good restful night's sleep. I'd wake up 5-6 times every night! I made a pillow spray with the Peaceful Sleep, and had some success staying asleep. Not a lot, but better than waking every hour!

Fast forward to 2020 - I've been using essential oils for almost a year now - they have made such a difference in my life! Not just sleep, but for skin care, arthritis relief, and general wellness. They are more than just a nice scent! (actually, there is one that is so beneficial for your skin, but it smells AWFUL! I'll post about which one that is, and a beautiful skin care serum. No pain, no gain.) 😷 Now I'm making all kinds of lotions and potions with all natural ingredients!

There are many good distributors of pure essential oils - but not all of them promote safe use. I'll be posting about my oily journey and a few fabulous essential oil companies.

Plant Therapy, Aromatics International, DeRu Extracts, Edens Garden, Stillpoint Aromatics and Sedona Aromatics are my choices to purchase top quality, pure essential oils. There are several other reputable sellers as well, but these are my go to's, especially the first three! 

I became a member of NAHA (National Association of Holistic Aromatherapy) and have been studying the safe use of essential oils since January 2019 - almost a year now! Also, Andrea Butje with Aromahead has some wonderful free online classes, and also has several certification programs for aromatherapists. I'm planning to take another course soon.

Btw - did you know that you should be extremely careful using essential oils around your small children, or if you are pregnant, or have certain autoimmune conditions?? And your pets - especially cats 😻 - they lack a liver enzyme to process and essential oils can be highly toxic to them! 

I'll be posting recipes, reviews and recommendations that I hope you'll find interesting and helpful!

~Mahalo~


No comments: