Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Everybody's Doing It!

10" x 8" acrylic pour on canvas
$45 available through my website

Pour Painting that is... Acrylic pour painting, pouring, fluid art, whatever you name it, it's become super popular, especially over the past year or two.

My favorite description is Hydrodynamic Instability paintings - yep, that's a term I found on the internet while searching for fluid art. Technically, it's Rayleigh-Taylor instability; and it the simplest of terms, it's how paints of different densities or weights react when layered together to create beautifully organic and mostly unpredictable shapes and colors. Kinda like oil and water.

And it's pretty easy to do - messy, but easy, and tons of fun!  When acrylic paints and a pouring medium are used, the paints can simply be poured onto a canvas using different techniques.  Flip Cup, Dirty Pour, Dip, Swipe, Funnel Pour, String Pull and the list goes on! The results are a very colorful organic abstract artwork. Artists are getting more and more creative with their techniques, and there is so much information online now. One artist has produced over 300 videos on just doing pouring.

I jumped in gung ho last summer and poured on practically everything that wasn't nailed down.  You can produce a lot of work in a short amount of time. I painted on rocks to decorate my yard, and on light switch covers to decorate my home with what I like to call "FUNctional" art. I sold a lot of work at the studio tour this past fall too. As a matter of fact, I will be teaching a class through our local Parks & Recreation Department on paint pouring this summer. I'm really looking forward to it!

What about you - have you tried pouring yet?

~Mahalo~

No comments: